Monday, February 28, 2011

My take on the man in the Crazy suits

If you live in Canada you know who I am talking about. For everyone else, I am referring to Don Cherry. He co-hosts coaches corner, which airs during Hockey Night in Canada. He also does some stuff for ESPN toward the end of the playoffs. He played for "a cup of coffee" in the NHL with the Bruins, or one game. He later went on to coach them during the Orr days.
The reason I have decided to discuss him is because if you love him you love him and if you hate him you hate him. No one rides the fence on him. So as a 20 something female, where do you think I stand?
If you guess love him then you are correct. Many of you may not have come to that conclusion, and the reason being, this guy defines controversy, and that's kinda why I like him.
People have said his views are old fashioned and rude. I disagree. He got in major trouble for his views on why a woman got hit with a puck at a hockey game. I am paraphrasing here but he said she wouldn't have gotten hit if she hadn't have been flapping her jaw. Its true! C'mon we all go to hockey games and know a puck leaves the ice at least once. It shouldn't be a shock that a person can get hit by a puck. I'm not saying I don't do my fair share of talking at games, but in the back of my mind I am always aware that there is a possibility a puck could come flying up at any given time. If I were to get hit, I would know it was my fault for not being on point. Just saying.
He made huge waves in the media by criticizing Habs fans for booing the American anthem. He said CBC and the Canadian government should have stood behind him. Hey, I was born American, so you know where I stand there. Even if I weren't, I think booing another Country's Anthem is the same at spiting on someone, you don't do it. Politically I may not agree with the decisions on a Country's government  but that has no bearing on deserving the same respects, especially in the name of good sportsmanship.
I could continue to name off remarks that have put him in the hot seat, but that's one of the best qualities about him. CBC realized this and put a 7 second delay during Coach's Corner, but after all this time he still has a job. Grapes has been around for quite some time, and I wouldn't expect to see it change, which is fine with me. Both of our paternal grandfather served our Countries, both our fathers played Amateur sports, both have Irish in us, and both carry a deep respect for those who serve their Countries and have deep rooted patriotism in that sense.
As far as Cherry goes, he's good in my books! I hope he never retires, HNIC will never be the same the day that happens. But for now, I look forward to his off the wall remarks which are as unpredictable as the material for his next suit.

2 comments:

  1. Don Cherry can never retire! The game simply wouldn't be the same anymore... He's immortal... right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Would not be the same, and no one could replace him!

    ReplyDelete