Friday, March 4, 2011

The New Dog

This post is not hockey related, but it is Mom related. We got a new dog.
Last week we had some friends over for dinner, they brought with them their dog. It was this tiny fluffy little thing and I had to admit it was pretty cute. Ryan had been badgering me for, I don't even know how long, to get a dog. My stance was we live in the middle of the city on the seventh floor of a large building, it would not be fair to have a dog here that couldn't run around whenever it wanted. Well as I watched the four pound dog chase my two year old, I realized that to a dog that size our living room was like a football field, and it seemed pretty small so it wouldn't knock Avery over.
So I changed my position from no dog to very small dog. We totally could have gone out and brought home a cute little puppy from a farm or a pet store, but I have always had rescued dogs, and I liked the idea of that. To the pound we went, and our search proved fruitless. They had few dogs and the ones that were in our size range were not good for children. So option two, kijiji. The first animal that came up had been posted just three hours before and was a Puggle (half Pug half Beagle). I send the poster a quick note about being interested and asked if we could meet her. I always use Ryan's email address on this sort of stuff because he deals with it then, its kind of like passing the torch.
Later that evening he shows me a series of emails between the dog owner and himself, explaining the dog had bad allergies, and was on a raw meat diet. That's not a big deal, I have had a very allergic dog as a teenager and knew enough to be comfortable with it, but the vibe I got from the owner was like she didn't want to give the dog up. She didn't even want to set up a date to see her. So we put it out of our minds and a week goes by. Ryan comes up to me one night and said he landed a meet and greet with the dog and owner, and I agreed to it.
We go and meet, the owner nice, overprotective of the dog, but nice. She says she has to go out west for school and the dog can't come, long story short we become the owners of Marley the puggle. Now comes for the homecoming. The dog came with tons of stuff, collars, leashes, crate, beds, lights, little baggies, even jackets!
Marley is great, Avery can pull her tail and be a bit rough with her, and she is a great sport. She is also the mascot of Ryans hockey team. She is also trained to ring a bell when she needs to go outside.
Or so I though she was. I hear a ring the first thing once we wake up. I chase my two year old around and get him to wear his hat, jacket and boots, I suit up as well, and apparently Marley doesn't like wearing a collar ao I have to chase her around too. Finally when everyone is ready to go, we head down seven flights of stairs (There is an elevator) but there are a lot of seniors and it can be a long wait). She sniffs here she sniffs there but doesn't go anywhere. After 15 mins, nothing we we go back in. Right as I was putting the last coat back on the hanger in the closet and lining the boots back up, I hear the sound of bells. Sure enough she is looking at me, tail wagging, ready to go back out. I'll spare you the repetitiveness, this goes on about 15 times from 8-5 until Ryan gets home and I assign that duty to him. I thought it was a fluke, she is in a new place with new people, things are a bit wonky for sure! Well this was day five and nothing has changed, except that I have a sick toddler with an ever running nose and need to be attached to me at all times. In short well have to see how this goes.
On top of it all after a year and a half long process we will be finding out if I can continue to reside in Canada, as my permanent residence application is done being processed and I must go in for an interview and "the news". And Ryan started a new job this week, and things are still wonky in scheduling here and there.
Lets hope this month Marley can be more decisive, Canada will dig an Arizona girl, and we work out timing with the new job. She is awful cute though. We'll probably keep her around, but if she keeps dragging me up and down seven flights of stairs, toddler in tow, were going to have to have a Cesar Milan intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment