Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Still left with a smile on their faces!

Ugh! This weekend I attended Ryan's Marlie's tournament. The boys played so well! I am really very proud of them. I had my first run in with the ugly type of hockey parents. My first real one to be exact. I picked out my spot according the the bench the boys were on. Avery likes to watch Ryan coach, so we usually sit directly across from him. I guess this is where the other teams parents were sitting. All weekend it was a mix of "Are you blind ref" and " C'mon! Get the puck in the net" and not in a nice way. In an ugly way. The worst of it was the gold Medal game. Both of the teams were royal blue, and the other team and parents immediately said, " No way! Our boys aren't wearing any different jersey! That's that!". And so it was solved our boys would wear the jerseys more sized for a man than a 10 year old. All good, whatever right? I sat in my usual spot, and watched the game. By the time the first period was over I was appalled. The parents were speaking and acting more like frustrated 4 year olds than adults. The team played like the parents acted, dirty. It was a tied game in the third, and our boys scored. One ref was at the center line and the other was near the opposing teams bench. Not one of the saw it go in and didn't call the goal. The other team won, and took home the gold, and I was secretly happy because if they didn't I would not have wanted to be a kid to one of these belittling type of parents. Our team AND the parents were all proud, as it was a great tournament. Added bonus, the other them had someone filming in the end where the goal was that wasn't counted. Once they see it, they will know the game would have been at least tied. I don't think it would matter to some. I got the impression winning was everything, and the parents obviously were far more knowledgeable the the refs on the ice were. They are also superb coaches.
I was telling people of the way these parents were acting, and expected a different response than a knowing head shake. Wow, I just got my first lesson on how not to talk to you kid, and refs at a game. I am certainly not saying that the refs called a perfect game, I'm also not saying they didn't. What do I know? I'm a parent, I'm not qualified to call a game, so I trust that the guys in black and white know what their doing. I must say though if this is the first time I have seen this degree of parental craziness, then I want Avery to play hockey in Kitchener, because I spent all season here and this is the first time my jaw ever hit the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment